Sunday, September 9, 2012

Celebrity on Check: DJ Neptune- 9ja Hip Hop, no where to be found

And just before y'all start your conclusions or insults, you should read this exciting interview with Multiple award winning, International DJ NEPTUNE. As our weekly celebrity on check interview, here's what we gathered from having a chit chat with the ace DJ. 

Stephen Aina and DJ Neptune
****Who are you?

My name is Imohiosen Patrick, from Edo State Nigeria, and of course ma brand name is international DJ Neptune.


****When would you say you came into limelight? 

Urm, its been a journey for me, started professionally in 2001 and had opportunity to get on radio- Raypower as a free lancer in 2004 and as a staff in 2005. So pretty much did radio for like 6years. So for me i think my career started fully when i got on radio and people were able to listen to me and identifying my capability of Dj'ing and entertaining. With the Raypower platform, i was able to reach a wider audience been that Raypower was a network platform, not just for Lagos alone. I anchored the Raypower Express show - a lunch show, and raypower power play show in the evening.

****How is the 2012 Neptune, different from then?

Like i said its been a journey and at the end of the day, the hardwork has paid and still paying off. When i started, nobody really knew DJ Neptune and I was very determined, didn't just want to be seen as a mobile DJ but as a professional and took that to myself, tried to know the basic of the art of  DISC JOCKEYING , and apart from working on Radio, in 2008 I became Naeto C's official DJ, one of the best Rappers in Africa right now, got signed on his label- SERIOUS MUSIC and along the line, storm records recognized what I was doing and drew me in as a family and then i did pretty much all the storm records shows and concerts. And right now, I just joined CHANNEL O AFRICA as one of their DJs all across AFRICA in terms of basement AFRICA VIDEO DISC JOCKEYING. 

**** Tell us about some of your unhappy situations in life…as a result of what you do.

Life itself is all about ups and downs, there are bound to be challenges, and at a point in time, I was struggling to convince people around me about my wish to become a professional DJ and my wish to make a living off it, though I might not be a DJ forever but while at it, to be known as a well recognized DJ in terms of the music industry and entertainment as a whole. 

Yes there were challenges that I find joy in doing this especially convincing my mum cos i lost my dad along the way, and had to leave the house for like 3yrs and while I was out of the house, i told myself it would be a big slap on the face not to make something out of it, but I thank God the rest has been history. 

Have had so many good times in doing this, like I was nominated for BEST WORLD DJ in New York AT THE NEA and that was my first time travelling out of this country, though I didn't win that year but I was able to see a lot of things i didn't know in terms of being a DJ, met a lof people, parties, and the way I was received, felt like a winner and then I got nominated the next year and won and its just been going places for me, higher and higher and I can say have performed in all the continents of the world, I mean have been to Asia, Europe, America, been to so many countries, done so many things one could do as an entertainer.

****Who are you currently working with for upcoming projects, mix-tapes or album?

Working on releasing an album, and am sure people out there would have seen or heard some projects, like I did a song with MI in before the release of his 1st album- 1, 2, 3, and we had the remix with Naeto C and the late Dagrin, shot a video for that. 

And then I released another single titled GBEDU RELOADED FT Ice prince, YQ and Shank, shot a video for that as well. Am just about to release another single in a couple of days which 
features Lynxx, general pype, jesse Jags titled scooby doo, shot the video already but taking my time so once the video is out, I would hit hard, so have worked with a couple of people, for those following me on twitter and Facebook, they probably know me for one or two mix-tapes (over 15 mix-tapes) from Nigerian songs, to Reggae dance-hall, funky House, to South African dance music, Ghana music, basically I try to touch all the base, not to centre myself as just a Nigerian DJ but as an international DJ, actually won an award for that in Malaysia for BEST INTERNATIONAL DJ, 2010, AFRICAN ENTERTAINMENT AWARD. 

****How do you feel about the current state of Naija Hip Hop?

Urm for me, my opinion concerning Nigerian hip hop music, as at now, am going be honest, a lot of people might not agree to it but I mean this is my own opinion, you know as far as hip hop is concerned in this country, its really no where to be found. 

Shoutout to the likes of Modenine, MI, NAETO C, SAUCEKID and one or two other MCs trying to keep it real but the industry has been polluted, because, I know Nigerians appreciate rappers, the Jay Zs, Kanye West, we listen to Drake and others but when it comes 
to our own Hip Hop music, Nigerians just wanna dance, and that as kinda frustrated the hip hop artistes to sell out one way or the other cos at the end of the day you want to make music that people would dance to, but you cant dance all the time, cant wake up and start dancing, cant be at work and start dancing, you definitely want to listen to different genres of music, in terms of hip hop in Nigeria, we really not on any level because hip hop is not accepted fully, so everyone is making dance records, just to sell believing that if they do a pure hip hop track, they might  not want to listen to me and at the end of the day, they've got bills to pay, they have to make money and time is not on my side.

Its pretty much sad but i guess with time, we would get there.

****And do you feel you have achieved the basic dreams you wanted when starting out as a DJ?

I might have won 1 or 2 awards, been opportuned to perform in various continents for different crowd, and when i say crowd, like 50, 000 people, to me, I dont tink it ends there. You know, but if you really wanna be successful, you need to to be humble. And to an extent (not trying to praise myself) thats one of the qualities that has worked for me. Like I said, I aint sleeping...you cant sleep on a bicyle, (lol) and just the same way am working, someone else is working.  

Feels like have not really achieved anything though I thank God for where I am today and I know that he's taking me somewhere higher than where I am today and I believe am ready...am not sleeping.

****Music today compared to the 90s, which would you say has been of more impact?

Going to be honest, in as much as am a dj, and new school songs are part of my core deal, there's so much difference between the new school and the 90s. If you doubt me, anybody reading this at home, slot in any music from the 90s say from R.Kelly or maybe from like 112, Mase, Biggie, Tupac and then you slot in a song from 2000 till now, you could basically tell the difference in terms of production, there's usually too much noise, whereas music is meant to be relaxing, not meant to make you sick but then shout out to everybody making music I mean if they are not making music, I wont be able to work, feed myself...but then there's lots of difference. Not going totally condemn today's music, but I believe we can still do better. Because the music now is kind of like garbage compared to the 90s

Now we have new technologies and its meant to improve, but then lifestyle is changing and you cant compare the lifestyle of the 90s to the new age. In the 90s, for instance and RnB artiste makes a record and the message probably is all about how to love in a good way, but now when you listen to the RnB songs, you find the artiste singing about: Oh how I want to touch that booty, how I can't wait for you to come over and let's have sex and all that kinda stuff. To me, I think the evolving lifestyle kinda like affected all that and its really nobody's fault, the world seems to be moving faster than everyone imagined and we need to catch up with that. 

This also affects fashion as wel, although some of the old school style is coming back but you could tell the way people dress now is definitely different from then.

****Do you read the YouTube or other social network comments?

Truth of the matter is there are bound to be haters and there are people who love what you are doing and everybody cant agree to what you do and how you do it. So everyone is entitled to their own opinion and i think that gives room for me as an individual to improve. If i put out a material out there, and 1 or 2 people criticize it, I mean am opened to criticism and dont find it offensive. I remember when I put out the 1,2,3 remix song, cant remember the particular blog but i saw a comment that was like:

"Oh this DJ didnt rap from the beginning to the end, so why is he claiming the song?" 

But these are the same people that would dance to songs from DJ KHALED, DJ KARMA and a whole lot of international DJS and they all did/are doing what am doing right now. Basically, we just trying to elevate the music industry, for instance, the 1,2,3 remix, no one ever thought, MI, NAETO C and the late DAGRIN would ever be on the same record and I was able to pull that stunt. This are part of what as a DJ, i can do. 

****ANY SCANDAL? 

Have not been involved in any so far but people would always try to put you down.

****Besides your Disc Jockeying, what else are you working on?

When I was young, I used to sing, but then my dad discouraged me so when i became a DJ, I didnt really see a need for me to want to combine that other side of me with the DJ side. Basically if you have listened to ma mixtapes, you would hear my voice, probably doing the intro or like a hype underneath and am into production as well. Have done one or 2 remix, and am still doing more that would be out very soon. But those things takes time.

I have other business i do but am not ready for people to discover that for now.

****Tell us a secret?

I dont have any. (something you probably havent revealed in a while) But maybe, I have a GF, someone am committed to, and i know i would end up with. Shoutouts to all the females that love Neptunes but this is something people dont really know or believe cos they say I don't look like someone that can be committed to one girl (Laughs).

Wedding bells soon but am not revealing the date, but am sure you would know then. 

****Briefly, whats your perception about awards in Nigeria.

I think we basically trying, no one is perfect.

Coming soon: Interview with Tinny of Ghana, Dokta Frabs, Chuddy K all speak about the coming HEADIES 2012.


Aina Stephen, hails from Ekiti state, Nigeria.  A grad' of OAU Ife. Always has been passionate about entertainment and hence set up a media outfit in 2008 known as Refiremedia. Born out of the zeal to showcase the lifestyle and profiles of celebs.

Currently he writes and handles the Celebrity on Check (Nigeria) on MFB BLOG.

Twitter: @tweetstevenchy @myfunkybdaytv @check_republic

1 comment:

  1. Great revelation stephen. DJ Neptunes always rock. One love

    ReplyDelete

comments here