Saturday, October 20, 2012

DJ VINNIE: Nigerian DJs do most of the jobs playing their naija songs


Let's meet you.
My name is Micheal Adebayo aka Dj Vinnie
.....World class Dj vinnie

Where are you from?
I'm from Ogun state.



How and when did you come into the DJ biz?
 Back then in secondary school. There's this guy that used to DJay so I walked up to
him and said "I like what you doing. Can you put me through?" Today the whole thing
is history now. Seeing that guy that day doing that DJ thing really blew my mind
off.   So I can say I'd started Djaying as far back as 1990.

What inspired you to being a DJ
I never saw myself being a DJ but that guy inspired me and that was why I walked up
to him and he put me through.

How did you come into lime light?
Rythm Fm made the whole Nigeria know me. That was in 1997. I started out with OGBC
in Abeokuta. From there to Raypower FM, and from there to Rythm Fm. 
Raypower FM really pushed me but the most noise about me then was from Rythm FM.

Who are you currently working with for upcoming projects, mixtapes or album?
I have an album out there already and I'm already planning on releasing the second 
album, by April next year it should be out. I have two singles already enjoying
airplay. Like polo featuring. Tha Suspekt & Jaywon. Tha first one was titled Replay
featuring. Reminisce, Jahbless and Akymz. Those are the two singles I have right
now. I hope to be recording with  Olamide very soon and a couple of other artiste
too. 

How do you feel about the current state of Naija Hip Hop?
Well... Everyone is trying to do their thing but not like the "Azonto" that everyone
is attracted to now. You know every year new things come up and people follow. So
its season by season. When the season of HipHop comes back everybody'll listen. Then
maybe you do commercial HipHop or something. So Hip-hop is still there. Yeah!

How can u differentiate when you started from now?
When we started then it was very difficult being a DJ. We can count ourselves, even
in this Lagos we know ourselves. But now its so easy becoming a DJ. People could
just go on line download softwares. But then you have to buy Vinux and each Vinux is
about 1,300. And you have to buy a lot. Like in a night you have to play about 500
or 600 songs. So calculate that into 1300 each. And you keep buying as new songs
comes out because they are foreign songs. 

Back in the days Nigerian songs don't really go like that. So we play 90per cent or 100
percent foreign songs. If you play Daddy showkey or Baba fryo people'll be like han han... 
Where did this DJ come from now!.... But now its a new born story we do 100percent Naija 
Kudos to Nigerian DJs. We really did a lot of work to push the Nigerian songs. We forced 
Nigerian song on the audience to listen to. The so called wizkid, d'banj and all... Making their money now it is Nigerian DJs that do most of their jobs playing their songs.

Did you project that DJing would take you this far?
I actually had a vision that DJing was taking me somewhere but I didn't believe it
could take me this far. At least if you count from 1 to 5 DJs in Nigeria, DJ Vinnie
is going to be on it.

Achievements/Awards/nominations?
Hhhmmmnnn..... I've had a couple of awards. Awards is just there. I can't mention
people that gives awards for now. But I give God the glory for that. At least the Dj
work has taken me to SA, london, US and it still this DJ thing that is taking me
there. Its been good.... Its been good. I've been on top of the stages I never
believed I can climb in my life.

Is DJ Vinnie married?
Yeah!... I'm married with a kid.

Tell us about some of your unhappy situations in life.
Unhappy?.... I'm not happy if I don't  get jobs...(Laughs!) Because all DJs wants to
go out every weekend. So if you're  sitting at home on a weekend. You'll be like...
"what I'm I not doing right?"

Tell us about the Zero's that comes in your billing.....
(Laughs).... That zero ehn. It's a very serious issue. Its what not everybody can
afford, but you know....you can't bring your standard down by bringing your prize
down. So one has to keep to that standard. Although you can bend the rules
sometimes....like I do free show, a lot of free shows.... A lot. Like padi padi.
Come and support here and there. 

If you're give an award to next rated who will it be? 
I'll give it to Brymo.... Brymo should take it because he has done a lot of jobs
more than Davido. And Brymo is a singer.

What makes a Good Dj? 
For me if I want to describe a good DJ. The first...second... third... fourth music
he plays. I'll know its a good DJ. Its the way you arrange your songs, the way you
play your songs. 

What's your advice for intending DJs.
Some Djs are on the job not for the passion but for making money. There are lots of
them like that in the business and they are killing it for those of us that have
passion for the job. Yet we still stand out. If DJ Vinnie is  playing you'll know DJ
Vinnie is  playing, if DJ Neptune is  playing you'll know DJ Neptune is  playing. If
DJ Jimmy Jatt is  playing you'll know DJ Jimmy Jatt is playing. Those are the ones
that have passions for the job. So my advice for upcoming DJs is to have passion for
the job and not passion for the money.

Do you read comments from social networks? And  How do you react to them. They can
be very nasty you know.

Yeah.... Like my song on notjustok.com the one I did with Jaywon and Tha Suspekt a
lot of nasty comments....(Laughs). I just read them and laugh. Because people think
its easy for a Dj to put a mixtape out there...its not. It takes a lot of hard work.
And then some  people will now listen to them  and begin to say trash. You cannot
actually know a song that will make a hit. You can't predict. Even the artist that
sings can't  predict a song that is gonna be the hit. When "gongo aso" came out 9ice
never believed it would become a hit. The song he was putting eye on was
"partyrider".  Although...I don't react to the comments. I just read and laugh.

Parting words for your fans
My fans keep listening to DJ vinnie. Keep loving DJ vinnie, I love you. I'll never
let you down. We are still strong. Still repping Naija.... Naija DJ for life. And
thanks to Check_Republic.

..........................................................................

Biography
“Dj Vinnie was born and raised in Lagos Nigeria real names; Michael Adebayo- is the
1st Child of a family of 4

Dj Vinnie discovered the love for his chosen career at the age of 12 and started
making impact at the age of 18. He has been a professional DJ since 1990, drawing
influences from legendary Dee Jays Funk Master Flex and Red Alert. He began the
noble profession after his secondary school days and today, he is one of young
pioneers of the in the art of Deejaying in Nigeria before the Digital era evolved.
Listed below, Are a few of his outstanding accomplishments.

He has Played on the following Major Radio Stations:

OGBC radio in 1993 – 1994

Ray Power 100.5 FM in 1995 – 1997

Rhythm 93.7 fm in 1998 – 2003

Y..FM 99.2 South Africa in 2003 – 2005

He was on the wheels of steel when the first American artist Montell Jordan visited
Nigeria, as well as Talib Kweli and original Ganstar, Guru in jo’burg, South Africa.
He has also been the official Deejay at many major concerts in Nigeria that has
featured international artists like Jay Z, P-diddy, Busta rhymes, Mary J Blige,
Chris Brown, Usher, and many others.

Presently, he is the Major Dj for Kennis music radio / Primetime Africa radio & TV
programme and Continental 102.3 FM respected by colleagues and associates as one of
the most talented DJs in Nigeria, and he is fondly referred to as an INTERNATIONAL
DJ because he has also played in over 7 countries: Radio Stations, Clubs and
important gigs and has won several merit awards in Nigeria and Beyond.

While Dj vinnie, has continued spinning at major gigs, clubs and radio stations on a
regular basis. He is putting finishing touches to his much-anticipated debut Mixtape
that will showcase the Best of Nigerian Music talents both established and Up&Coming
on a global Platform.”


Wanna feature on this segment? email Stephen at: stevenchy001@yahoo.com

Interview by Stevenchy for MFB BLOG.

2 comments:

comments here